Sunday, April 21, 2013

It Starts With Food, Some Goals, and Ghee.



I enjoy Instagram a lot. (Follow me! I'm @tiffasaurusb) I look to it for visual inspiration on all things - fashion, fitness, health, awesome yoga poses, etc. I like that a picture catches your eye first, and then you can dig deeper and  find more. So I was looking up #paleo and #crossfit pics, and I noticed several people hashtagging #whole30. I was like wtf is whole30? So I dug deeper, and came across this website touting this book. It's basically strict paleo, and rather than being obsessed with what the cavemen did, it focuses more on health. The authors encourage the readers to try a 30 day challenge - 100% whole paleo foods, no sugar, no cheating, no paleo versions of cheat foods, etc.  I laugh because two of my blog posts from this year were for paleo cheat foods (Cookie Dough Truffles and Jalapeno Poppers.... hey those things are fine every now and then!) But I decided it sounded like a fun challenge. I'm on day 5, and it is going well. I feel great, high energy, no cravings.

I took a bunch of what I am going to call "before" pictures this weekend. I have a good muscle base, but I need to drop body fat and improve my athletic performance, strength, and flexibility. I have several goals over the next year, in my quest to be in top shape by my 30th (NOOOO) birthday in March 2014

  • I would like to eventually be able to hold my own at a crossfit gym, so my secret plan is to spend the summer training building up strength and ability to do things like burpees, squats, cleans, pushups, etc. Then I can join a gym in the fall and learn the true crossfit way. You may be thinking, just join a gym now, no one cares! But they are expensive, and honestly I can train myself over the summer at my beginners level, fo free, before I need the help of the crossfit class environment to push me. 


  • Simultaneously  I'd like to gain flexibility. So while I build strength, I will also work at increasing my flexibility. My dream is to be able to do fancy yoga handstandy leggy things. You know what I mean. So I will work on stretches, plenty of yoga, and again, strength. Must have good upper body strength in order to do the poses I wish to do.

So the It Starts With Food book reminded me of the benefits of ghee. Ghee is clarified butter. Butter that has had all of the milk solids removed. I bought a jar and have been using it to cook with. It's luxurious! I only cook with Coconut Oil or Ghee. I used to cook with olive oil, and I will still oven bake things with it, but the reason I do not pan cook on the stove with olive oil is because at high temperatures, it becomes carcinogenic. Look it up! It's true. Ghee and coconut oil have a higher smoking point, so they are better for higher temperatures.

GHEEEEE


Last but not least, I want to comment on the fact that eating organic grass-fed, pastured animals and organic produce is fucking expensive. Worth it - and I'm grateful I can afford (well, sacrificing other luxuries) it, but damn, that's a lot of money, honey!