Sunday, June 14, 2009

Up To Speed

I basically started this blog to be a creative outlet and a way to document my journey. I could obsess over what I'm going to post...the format, etc. but I am hoping to save those obsessions to my macro nutrient counting and things like that. This will be a more written-stream-of consciousness type of thing. At least until I get more of a feel for what style of entries I like the best. And because this is my blog, I will comment as needed on my personal life, pop culture, and your mom as much as I want to. This is just a glimpse into the inner workings of Madame T. (buckle up)
I should probably post a little background info, and explain what the Autonomy Project is.

I prefer the more contextual definitions of autonomy rather than literal. To me it is independence in actions and choices. Freedom of Movement, discipline in how you choose to move....and what you do. The idea that this life is what you make it because of the choices you make-and the autonomy involved in making them.

The Autonomy project is meant to evoke thoughts of grandeur, that's just my my way, but specifically, The Autonomy Project is an experiment to see what kind of physical shape I can get into based on my actions and movements when my focus goes towards a certain goal, whatever that may be, though my immediate goal is physique related.

How I Got To This Point:

(ABRIDGED VERSION): In 2004, I was 20 years old and weighed a hefty 260 lbs (thanks to reefer, Cheeto's, and pure unadulterated laziness. I blame Hendrix and Bob Marley too.). With the help of a co-worker who was a body builder and "practicing" to be a personal trainer, I lost 80 lbs and got down to about 180 pounds by June of 2005. I am 5'9".

I spent the next few years working out off and on, going through phases of being hardcore- lifting, cardio, and eating clean, then I'd get to a point where enough was enough and I was ready to party or I was dating a new guy so I'd slack off...and the cycle would repeat.

So fast forward a few years. In all I've gained about 15 pounds since the big loss. Last summer I started doing triathlons and various fun runs, with my most recent accomplishment being a half-marathon in May 2009. Training for and completing these events were amazing, and I pushed myself in lots of ways, but I never quite got out of it what I wanted to get out of it in the end. You know what I wanted? To be FIT. Yes, I can run 13.1 miles, yet I'm ashamed to be in a swimsuit in public. That's messed up! Endurance sports are cool, and still something I want to excel at, but I want to get into my dream body first. I have worked my ASS off, I really have, but I want to focus on specific physique-forming workouts. Burn fat feed muscle. Endurance sports do not necessarily mean fat burning, in fact, you are training your body to hold on to fat for fuel!

Jan 1, 2009- I weigh in at 194 pounds. Yuck! I went back on a 40/40/20 clean eating plan while training for the half, and I lost about 19 pounds, to bring me to my current weight of 175.

I have read thousands of hours worth of literature and articles on fitness, nutrition, fat loss and body building, and I have put that knowledge to the test at times and it has worked.

I know what I need to eat (and not eat) and I know what I need to do in order get into amazing shape and cut the fat, now it is time to do that.

This blog is my journey. It will document the fitness stuff, and everything in between.